January 12th, 2014 (09:27 am)
Bitchyness Indicator: contemplative
Climbing back into the light of day again. Wow, it was a crappy few years there...for a lot of folks, not just me. But I was talking with zamaxfield last night, and realized I need to get my shit back together and get back to what I love.
1) This means I need to cut back on on very big bad habit of mine. I'm working towards that, it's not easy at all and it's taking a lot of energy right now sticking that course. So if there are not massive jumps in productivity in the next couple of months...that's why. This should also assist with a secondary goal of shedding some poundage, as I tend to eat in that state, and stay up to late, and feel bleh the next day so I eat stuff I shouldn't. Secondary to that, there's a gym in the office, a one time fee of $5 and any employee can use it. Since it's small, not used a lot and not filled with the supremely fit muscle jobs -- it mitigates the "why I hate the gym" factor: I don't have to watch Joe Steroid on his 115th rep while I'm doing my measly 30min on the stationary bike.
2) I need to reconnect. To the web. I know most folks need to disconnect, but I've become a ghost presence as an author. That's not good for me and sales and fans.
3) I need some new beta readers. I have one I love, but life hit them in the balls in this last year and time has become a precious commodity. I need to spread the load around some. I am petulant and growly, but whoever it is need not have to deal with that, unless you're up to the WTF do you mean by X IMs. And mostly those are used for me to really root out the problematical word, section, phrase, action. I just may come across as a Chihuahua with barred teeth while I'm working through it. Anyone who wants to apply for that thankless task can PM or email me.
4) I need to get with my website host and figure out WTF is going on. My virus software says there's something there. Two friends, who are in the website/coding/magical-mysteries-beyond-human-comprehension field say they don't see anything. Other folks don't have the problem accessing, but some do...so it needs to get fixed. I can update the blog through my phone, but I need to work on updating the pages and other things. Basically, update that bad boy.
5) I need to get rights back to a few stories out there. Ones that have languished. Then either self pub them or see if I can get someone to re-edit, re-release. I also have some shorts that have come back to me that I'd like to self publish. I have the resources in a cover artist I like, a formatter, friends who can walk me through who to use for getting on the ebook distributors. It's doable, I just have to commit to doing it.
6) The big one of course, is writing more. I need to sit down in the morning and do 500 words, and then 500 at lunch (or while waiting in court...yadda) and then 500 in the evening. I know if I get back in that habit, I'll do more than 500 each time. It's a doable goal though -- think that's a couple pages of dialog or a few paragraphs. I've done it before. I can do it again, I just have to get back to it. Being able to hit the house without having had an hour long drive in sucktastic traffic at night helps. Plus, if I manage goal number 1, then I tend to wake up earlier (5:30ish) and I have a quiet portion of the morning while I drink my coffee and the rest of the house is still snoozing.
Let's face it, I've managed to get 15 Novels/Short story collections out there and a slew of stand alone shorts. I can get back there. I just have to reset some.
Hopefully, you'll see more of me around -- commenting and posting.